Reading about the lives of the eight Presidents of Ireland allows us to be a witness to the history of Ireland itself. Each has left his or her own distinct imprint on the country.
- Ireland's first President, Douglas Hyde, made a huge contribution to the promotion of the Irish language, especially as a founding member of the Gaelic League.
- President Sean T O'Kelly, perhaps because of his first-hand experience of the horrors of the civil war, supported an ultimately unsuccessful proposal to merge Fianna Fail and Fine Gael.
- Ireland's only 'American' President, Eamon de Valera, was the first to have a truly international reputation and was a towering figure in Irish history.
- De Valera's successor as President of Ireland, Erskine Childers, was a popular and active president, but sadly died in office only 18 months after his election.
- President Cearbhall o'Dalaigh raised the profile of the office to a high level, not only by his energy and enthusiasm but also by resigning from the post in dramatic and extraordinary circumstances after 22 months in office.
- The turmoil left in the wake of his resignation was calmed by the election of Patrick Hillery, who remained in office for the maximum period of 14 years.
- Mary Robinson was Ireland's first woman President and took a very active interest in human rights and other issues.
- Finally, Mary McAleese has raised considerably the profile of the role of the President of Ireland, not least through her huge contribution to the mending of fences between the two communities in the North and in Ireland as a whole.
With a new President to be elected in 2011, this book offers a timely look back at the remarkable men and women who have served Ireland so well.
About the Author
Kevin (Caoimhin) Kenna was born in Dún Laoghaire and educated at Presentation College, Glasthule, County Dublin. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1967 and his professional career included five years in Oxford and seventeen years in Munich. He recently retired to devote his time to various writing projects.
- Additional Information
Author Kenna, Kevin Editor No Print Format Paperback ISBN-10 1905785844 ISBN-13 978-1-905785-84-1 Illustrations Illustrated Date of Publication October 2010 Number of Pages 250